Wednesday, December 6, 2017

A List for My Daughters...


So, I've seen a couple of my friends post this on Facebook recently, and it's a REALLY good list.

My girls and I are close.  I hope they know how much I love them, and that I am here for them until the day I die.  They're already strong, confident, smart, beautiful girls.  But I feel like a few reminders from Dear Old Mom can't hurt.

The problem was, I have a few caveats to this list.  And I didn't want to disparage or seem like I was insulting the list's creator.  (SO not the case.  I just wanted to add my own two cents, that's it.)

So I thought I'd paste the list here - you all KNOW how much I love my lists - and add my commentary.

PREFACE:  No offense meant to anyone or anything.  It's just a freaking list.

Feel free to read or pass, comment or not.

Here goes...

= - = - = - =

1. Make your bed every day; even if it's right before you get in it.  I can't remember if I did this as a kid or a young person, but I do try to do it every day as an adult.  Not sure why it makes a difference but it does - for me, at least.
2. Don't wear holey underwear in case you're in an accident and they cut your clothes off.  Look, I have a couple of pairs of holey underwear, and a couple of granny panties (sorry Laurie) for when it's that magical time.  A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do... 
3. Travel light through life. Keep only what you need.  I find that this is a product of previous generations, passed down.  IMO.  I find myself having more than I need or want, and since you-know-who made his exit, it's been a little easier to part with the "stuff".
4. Put butter on your biscuit, and twice as much when you miss me.  I don't get this one.  If you miss me, CALL me.  LOL  
5. It’s okay to cry when you’re hurt. It’s also okay to smash things; but, wash your face, clean your mess, and get up off the floor when you’re done. You don’t belong down there.  
One of the BIGGEST lessons I've learned since the separation.  I am worth SO much more.  We ALL are.  It's ok to be sad for a minute, or to have a bad day.  But shake that shit off and keep moving.  Life is too short.
6. If you’re going to curse, be clever. If you’re going to curse in public, know your audience.  Disagree.  The "F" word is a personal favorite and I use it liberally and I use it every single day.  Sue me.
7. Seek out the people and places that resonate with your soul.  It's better to have a handful of close friends who love you and have your back than to have a million FB "friends".  IMHO, of course.
8. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.  AMEN.  Follow your gut.  It's always right.  And don't let someone peer pressure you.  If they do that, they're not your friend.
9. 5-second rule. It’s just dirt. There are worse things in a fast food cheeseburger.  There are worse things in life than dirt.  Trust me.
10. Happiness is not a permanent state. Wholeness is. Don’t confuse these.  We need to have a few rough patches to really appreciate the happiness.  But every day you should LOVE and RESPECT yourself.  If you do that, everything else falls into place.
11. If you’re staying more than one night, unpack your bag.  Nah.  Do you.  I keep my crap in my bag.  It's just how I roll.
12. Never walk through an alley.  I don't know about never.  But - NEVER alone.  And never, EVER walk anywhere alone when it's dark.  You're cute and can be stolen easily.
13. Be less sugar, more spice, and only as nice as you’re able to without compromising yourself.  Be who you want to be, as long as it's your true self.  Some people are naturally more spicy.  It would be boring if we were all the same.
14. Can’t is a cop-out.  TRY!  And if you fail, then at least you have a few choices.  Plus, if you fail there's very little that we can't fix or undo.
15. Hold your heroes to a high standard. Be your own hero.  LOVE yourself - everyday and always.  You are a true gift and you're freaking AWESOME!  And just because a person is a celebrity doesn't automatically qualify them as a hero.  They have to earn it.
16. If you can’t smile with your eyes, don’t smile. Insincerity is nothing to aspire to.   And smile every single day!  There is always, always at least one reason to smile in a day.  Even if that one thing is that you made it to bedtime without throat punching anyone.
17. Never lie to yourself.  Personally, I believe that if you have a moral compass, you won't be able to lie to yourself.  Not for very long, at least.
18. Your body, your rules.  TRUTH!  And if someone crosses a line, tell someone.  Anyone.  Don't stop until someone listens.  (P.S.  Mom will ALWAYS listen.  And I will ALWAYS have your back.)
19. If you have an opinion, you better know why.  Be prepared to tell people why.  They will ask.  Know what you stand for.  And don't stand for it just because your BFF stands for it.  Be informed.
20. Practice your passions.  If you love something, do it!  And as often as you can.  If it brings you joy, make it a regular part of your life. 
21. Ask for what you want. The worst thing they can say is no.  I literally say this to you girls all.the.time.  You'll never get a "yes" if you never ask.  Be brave and take the chance.  You'll know when those chances are worth it. 
22. Wish on stars and dandelions, then get to work to make them happen.  Karma is a real and powerful thing.  But don't expect the universe to give you everything.  You have to work.  And the self-pride when you've done it is always worth it in the end.
23. Don’t skimp on good sheets.  I guess I'm not fancy because my sheets come from Target and HomeGoods.  And I sleep fine.  :-)
24. Fall in love often. Particularly with ideas, art, music, literature, food and far-off places.  Your lives as military kids have already been full of adventures.  Don't let that sense of adventure ever stop!!
25. Fall hard and forever in love with yourself.  Love yourself as much as I love you.  Or more - if that's possible.
26. Say Please, Thank You, and Pardon Me, whenever the situation warrants it.  It's amazing how far small gestures of good manners go.  People you meet and share time with will really appreciate it.
27. Reserve I’m sorry for when you truly are.  But when you're sorry, know why.  And be specific.  Acknowledge that your actions have consequences that affect others.
28. Naps are for grown-ups, too.  YES!  And as you get older, you will still need one from time to time.  No shame in that, girls.
29. Question everything except your own intuition.  If you feel something in your gut, that's the universe trying to get your attention.
30. You have enough. You are enough.  You are more than enough - just the way you are.  If someone doesn't believe that, they're not worthy of a place in your life.
31. You are amazing! Don't let anyone ever make you feel you are not. If someone does....walk away. You deserve better.  Treat people the way you want to be treated, and kick to the curb those who don't follow suit. 
32. No matter where you are, you can always go home.  F.O.R.E.V.E.R.  You will always have a home wherever your Mom is.  Always.
33. Be happy and remember your roots.  Remember the people who love you the most and don't take them for granted.  They love you for a reason.
34. Say what you mean and mean what you say.  Passive-aggressiveness is just bullshit wrapped up in pretty paper.  Say the words.  Even if they sting a bit - as long as they're productive.
35. Don’t forget, no one will ever love you more than I do.  You 3 will always be the greatest thing that I ever do in this life.  Many people will love you, but none will leave the same handprint on your heart.

And maybe a couple more, just because they're things that I think are worth noting:

36.  Wash your face every night - and moisturize!  Especially your elbows, feet, knees, face and heels.
37.  Pay yourself first.  In EVERY paycheck you get, put a little away.  Even if it's just $5 sometimes.  That's  better than zero!
38.    ALWAYS have your own bank account.  I wish I had done this when I was married.  There are SO many reasons why.
39.  Try to eat a vegetable every.single.day.  It’ll help your innards, I promise.
40.  Eat all the Mexican food you can before your gall bladder is removed.  Once that’s gone, all bets are off.  Trust me.


Any other advice for my three favorite people?  xoxoxo


❤️  

No comments:

Post a Comment